DHAKA (Reuters) – Bangladesh reported its first fatality this 12 months from the brain-damaging Nipah virus on Monday when a person died after ingesting uncooked date juice.

The virus, transmitted to people by means of contact with the bodily fluids of contaminated bats, pigs or different folks, was first recognized in 1999 throughout an outbreak affecting farmers and others involved with pigs in Malaysia.

Since then it has led to fires in Bangladesh, India and Singapore, killing greater than 160 folks in Bangladesh.

The nation's first case of 2024 was reported in Manikganj, about 50 km from the capital Dhaka, stated Tahmina Shirin, director of the ministry's Institute of Epidemiology, Illness Management and Analysis (IEDCR). Hello.

“The pattern was despatched for a laboratory check and it turned constructive. We knew that the individual drank uncooked date juice,” he instructed Reuters.

The Ministry of Well being has warned folks towards consuming fruit partially eaten by birds or bats, and consuming uncooked date juice.

There are not any remedies or vaccines for the virus.

A complete of 10 folks amongst 14 folks contaminated with the Nipah virus in Bangladesh died in 2023, the very best variety of deaths in seven years, in accordance with the IEDCR.

The an infection could cause fever, headache, cough and problem respiration, with mind swelling more likely to comply with.

Its fatality fee is estimated from 40% to 75%, in accordance with the World Well being Group.

(Reporting by Ruma Paul; Modifying by Andrew Cawthorne)

Source link