Mets’ Joey Lucchesi finally ‘close’ to rehab assignment in minors | Big Indy News
Connect with us

Sports

Mets’ Joey Lucchesi finally ‘close’ to rehab assignment in minors

Published

on

Joey Lucchesi hasn’t pitched for the Mets in more than a year, but he is hardly a forgotten man. 

The left-hander, who had Tommy John surgery in June 2021, is nearing a minor league rehab assignment, according to manager Buck Showalter, and at some point could be considered for a role in the Mets’ bullpen. 

“His arm is proceeding well — he had a little something other than arm that gave him a day or two [off], like we all do in normal life,” Showalter said before the Mets beat the Braves, 5-2, at Citi Field. “If he can continue down the path he is on, he’s going to be an option for us this year.” 

As for when Lucchesi might begin that rehab assignment, Showalter said the lefty has moved to the “close to” list. 

“I look at [the reports] every day because he is a guy that caught my eye in the spring,” Showalter said. “I think he’s got a chance to help us this year, next year, I like Joey.” 

Joey Lucchesi
AP

David Peterson could also become a lefty relief option before the season concludes, but the Mets are trying to walk a tightrope by keeping him stretched out in case a need arises in the rotation. Peterson started the first game of a doubleheader on Saturday against the Braves. It’s expected he will start one of the doubleheader games in Philadelphia on Aug. 20. 

The Mets’ lone lefty relief option — after failing to address the spot at the trade deadline — is Joely Rodriguez, who has largely been a disappointment. Rodriguez stepped up Sunday, however, giving the Mets 2 ¹/₃ innings of scoreless relief, with four strikeouts. 


Justin Dunn, the scheduled starter for the Reds on Monday at Citi Field, was the Mets’ first-round pick (No. 19 overall) in the 2016 draft and was later traded to the Mariners in the deal that brought Edwin Diaz and Robinson Cano to Queens. The Mariners traded Dunn to the Reds during spring training. The right-hander will be making his Reds debut after he opened the season on the 60-day injured list with a shoulder strain. 

Diaz, who struck out the side in the ninth, leads all major league relievers with 14 games this season with at least three strikeouts. 


The Mets finished 9-2 in an 11-game stretch against division rivals. They have won or tied their first 15 series against division foes, which is the third-longest streak by a team to start the season since divisional play was instituted in 1969.

Read the full article here

Sports

Outside the stadium, a get-well message for Pelé, who is back in the hospital.

Published

on

AL RAYYAN, Qatar — The Torch hotel outside Khalifa Stadium has a message on its side tonight sending well wishes to Pelé, the three-time World Cup winner from Brazil who has been battling cancer.

A Brazilian newspaper reported that Pelé, 82, was no longer responding to chemotherapy treatments and had been moved to palliative care, suggesting he would no longer take aggressive measures to fight his cancer.

The report did not suggest that his death was imminent; such scares have been common in recent years each time Pelé, one of the world’s most famous sportsmen, has entered the hospital for treatment.

Pelé’s own Instagram account attempted to push back on the most recent reports this week that noted he was back in the hospital.

“Friends, I am at the hospital making my monthly visit,” said a message under a different photo of him on a building in Doha. “It’s always nice to receive positive messages like this. Thanks to Qatar for this tribute, and to everyone who sends me good vibes!”

Pelé’s daughter Kely Nascimento had said on Instagram earlier this week that there was “no surprise or emergency” in her father’s condition.

“Lots of alarm in the media today concerning my dad’s health,” Nascimento wrote at the time. “There is no emergency or new dire prediction. I will be there for New Year’s and promise to post some pictures.”



Read the full article here

Continue Reading

Sports

Christian Pulisic back in lineup for USMNT against Netherlands at World Cup

Published

on

Christian Pulisic will be in the starting lineup for the U.S. Men’s National Team for its World Cup knockout-round showdown Saturday against the Netherlands in Qatar.

Pulisic, who was taken to a local hospital during Tuesday’s 1-0 group-stage victory over Iran with a pelvic injury after scoring the Americans’ lone goal to advance as the second-place finisher in Grouo B, had been medically cleared to play on Friday.

Christian Pulisic is back in the U.S. starting lineup Saturday against the Netherlands.
Getty Images

Follow all the 2022 World Cup action with more from the New York Post


Pulisic suffered a pelvic injury in the United States' 1-0 win over Iran earlier this week.
Pulisic suffered a pelvic injury in the United States’ 1-0 win over Iran earlier this week.
Getty Images

Striker Josh Sargent suffered an ankle injury in the second half of that match and will be replaced in the U.S. starting XI by forward Jesus Ferreira. He will be making his first appearance of the tournament.

Center back Walker Zimmerman, who didn’t start against  Iran but came on as a sub in the second half, also was reinstated in coach Gregg Berhalter’s lineup, in place of Cameron Carter-Vickers. Zimmerman cleared a ball approaching the goal line that had gotten past goalie Matt Turner late in stoppage time to preserve the win.

Read the full article here

Continue Reading

Sports

The U.S. women’s team has won millions at the men’s World Cup.

Published

on

The United States women’s soccer team, a four-time World Cup champion, is winning at the men’s World Cup, too.

Thanks to new labor agreements reached with U.S. Soccer that guarantee a split of prize money won by the country’s national teams, the women will receive an equal share in the prize money from the performance of the U.S. men in Qatar. How much money? At least $6 million to date, or more than the combined prizes the women’s team collected for their 2019 World Cup victory in France ($4 million prize) and their 2015 title in Canada ($2 million).

In September, the U.S. women’s and men’s teams formally signed new collective bargaining agreements with landmark terms: For the first time, U.S. Soccer guaranteed the players will receive equal pay for competing in international matches and competitions, which had been one of the most contentious issues facing the teams and the federation in recent years.

That means the women’s national team will also benefit from the men’s advancement at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, in figures that a spokesperson for the women’s team said the players are still digesting — but that have given the women’s team, and its predecessors, a sense of accomplishment and advancement in a decades-long pursuit of equity in the sport.

“The women have done their work — four World Cups, four Olympic gold medals — to bring high visibility, and I mean high visibility, to the sport of soccer in this country, which needed it for a long time,” said Briana Scurry, a goalkeeper for the Americans’ 1999 World Cup-winning team. “Now the men, once again, it’s their turn and they’re showing incredibly well.”

FIFA previously announced that the total prize pool for the World Cup in Qatar would be $440 million, including $42 million for the winning team. For advancing to the knockout stage of the tournament, after a 1-0 tense win over Iran, the team stands to earn at least $13 million. A win against the Netherlands on Saturday could raise that figure to at least $17 million.

Under the new agreements, 90 percent of World Cup prize money will be pooled and shared equally between the players on the 2022 men’s World Cup roster and the 2023 Women’s World Cup roster, in a historic move that is unique only to the United States among top soccer-playing nations.

The sharing is reciprocal: When the women defend their World Cup title at the 2023 Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, any earnings will be split with the men’s team.

“These agreements have changed the game forever here in the United States and have the potential to change the game around the world,” the U.S. Soccer President, Cindy Parlow Cone, said in a statement when the agreements were reached in May.

Read the full article here

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news directly to your inbox.


Trending